Aaby Family Law, PC
Helping You Navigate Through Life's Transitions

Can a Child Make Custody and Parenting Time Decisions?

Common Question:  Under Oregon law, isn't there a certain age that my child will be able to decide custody or parenting time issues?


Answer:  No.  There is not a specific age when the Court allows a child to determine who they will live with or how often they will have parenting time with the non-custodial parent.  Until a child turns age 18, the court has jurisdiction to determine custody and parenting time issues.  Generally, the Court will give more weight to the preferences of an older child, as long as that child's preference is not contrary to their best interests.


There are various ways, however, by which a child can have input into a custody or parenting time determination:


1.     Under ORS 107.425(6), the Court may appoint counsel to represent a child in a domestic relations proceeding.  The attorney appointed for the child can advocate for the child's wishes.  If a child requests the appointment of an attorney, the Court shall appoint an attorney to represent the child.


2.     If a custody or parenting time evaluation is conducted pursuant to ORS 107.425(2), typically the child will be interviewed and the evaluator may take the child's views into account (again, the older the child, the more likely his/her views will hold weight with the evaluator).


3.     A child can testify in Court and tell the Court his or her preference for custody and/or parenting time.  However, this can be a risky proposition - many judges do not like children testifying in court, as they do not believe that a child should be put in the middle of "adult issues." 


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Consultation About Your Unique Concerns

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Aaby Family Law, PC
9600 SW Barnes Rd.
Suite 150
Portland, OR 97225

Toll Free: 800-779-6508
Phone: 503-388-4779
Fax: 503-646-2503
Map & Directions