Barbara Aaby graduated with Honors from Ohio State University (Summa Cum Laude) in 1973. She was the recipient of the Maternal and Child Health Scholarship Award and pursued graduate studies at Case Western Reserve University earning a degree in Social Science Administration. In 1993, she obtained her law degree from Lewis and Clark College Northwestern School of Law.
Barbara’s early years were spent on a small dairy farm in Ohio and this experience gave her an understanding of the challenges of organic farming and a healthy respect for nature. Barbara has hiked many, if not most, of the trails in the Columbia River Gorge and she even managed to hike the Pacific Coast Trail on Vancouver Island. She and her family frequently spend time camping on Mt. Hood, biking on bike trails throughout Oregon and gardening.
Barbara has been a member of the Oregon State Bar since 1993 and is a member of a number of legal organizations, including Oregon Women Lawyers and the Washington County Bar Association. Barbara has in the past served as the Chair of the American Bar Association Committee on Child Custody. She is a contributing author to the Oregon State Bar Family Law Continuing Legal Education Book and has authored topics such as the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act and parenting plans.
Barbara has in the past served as a volunteer judge for the High School Mock Trial Program as well as the Mock Trial program hosted by Lewis and Clark College. Barbara serves on the Board of Trustees for the Washington County NAMI (National Association of Mental Illness) and is a strong supporter of providing mental health services for adolescents as well as adults.
Areas Of Practice
- Oregon, 1993
- Lewis and Clark College Northwestern School of Law, Portland, Oregon
- Case Western Reserve University
- Master's Degree - 1977
- Major: Social Science Administration
- Ohio State University
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Contributing Author, Custody and Visitation and Temporary and Final Relief for the Oregon State Bar Family Law Continuing Legal Education Book
- Spoken, American Bar Association on Matters Related to Child Custody
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Oregon State Bar, Member, 1993
- The Multnomah Bar Association
- Oregon Woman Lawyers
- Oregon Family Law Practitioners
- American Bar Association, Chair, Committee on Child Custody
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer, Several Oregon State Bar Programs
- Volunteer Lawyer Project
- High School Mock Trial Program