Helping You Navigate Through Life’s Transitions

Defending Your Rights As An Unmarried Parent

Aaby Family Law, PC, is pleased to represent both mothers and fathers in paternity proceedings. Some of the matters we handle on behalf of unwed parents include:

  • Establishment of paternity
  • Child custody disputes
  • Parenting time disputes
  • Child support
  • Modifications of custody, child support and parenting time agreements

If you are an unmarried parent and need legal assistance with a paternity matter, we can help. To contact our law office in Beaverton, Oregon, call 503-388-4779.

Paternity Proceedings In Washington County, Oregon

When an unmarried man and woman have a child, the father starts out with no right to custody or parenting time. In order to protect his rights as a parent, an unwed father must make a motion to a court to establish paternity. Once a court determines paternity, the court may issue an order regarding custody and visitation.

When an unmarried woman has a child and wishes to receive child support, she must file a motion to establish paternity before a court can award her child support. After a court determines paternity of the child, it will follow the Oregon child support guidelines in its determination of child support. In limited circumstances, the court may deviate from the guidelines, but it is more common for them to adhere to them.

Aaby Family Law, PC, is pleased to represent clients in all paternity proceedings, including motions to establish paternity, motions for child support, custody disputes and parenting time disputes. We are also pleased to assist parents with motions to enforce a child support order and motions for a modification of child support, child custody or parenting time.

Contact Us To Learn More

Aaby Family Law, PC, is a proud parents’ rights advocate. If you are an unmarried parent and need help, we encourage you to contact our law office in Beaverton, Oregon. Please call 503-388-4779 or contact us by email.

Divorce Issues

Learn about property division, spousal support orders, tax concerns after divorce and more.

Other Family Matters

Get help with  parenting plans, child support orders, prenuptial agreements and more.

Meet Barbara Aaby

Meet the experienced and caring attorney who will personally address your family law concerns.